The story of our son’s arrival

2 weeks ago from yesterday I was sitting at home, eating lunch, and watching an Olympic event on the iPad. Just an ordinary day. I was very ready to go into labor and have the little guy in our arms. This day was actually our due date and I decided that to pass the time I would do some squats. Squats had proven in the past to make me have some contractions and they’re a good workout for my muscles too. I was up to 125 once I noticed that I was having consistent contractions. I kept watching the Olympics and eventually figured that I should use my contraction app and start timing them. So for the next few hours I did just that. I figured I was probably in early labor, but didn’t want to get my hopes up in case I wasn’t. I messaged my midwife and did a few things to make sure the contractions weren’t going to quit. They didn’t. So, I texted Stephen that he might want to come home soon since I had been having 45 second long contractions every 3 minutes.

He came home around 3:30pm, we packed up, and headed to the midwife’s house/birthing center and I was examined by one of her interns. 4.5 cm dilated. Not bad considering I was 3 the day before. However, our midwife was in Kansas City. I talked with her on the phone and opted for her to stay there and send another midwife from Oklahoma over to oversee the interns during the delivery. Since I wasn’t very far along we headed out to dinner and to take a little stroll. I didn’t eat much and the walk wasn’t exactly comfortable. Around 6:00 we were back at the birthing center and I was at 6.5cm. Making progress.

For the next several hours Stephen and I hung out and I had a contraction every other minute. The 3 interns came in and checked the little guys heart beat every 15 minutes. About 9:00 the midwife from Oklahoma arrived. She was super sweet and I greatly enjoyed her company. From then on out we usually had at least 2 people in the room with us. The contractions hurt, but it was mostly a mind game for me. I attempted to focus on fun things during each one to keep my mind off the pain. I didn’t have any meds, but apparently I was really funny. Every couple of minutes I would say something that had everyone in the room chuckling. I didn’t feel like I was being very funny, but they thought otherwise. πŸ™‚

Time kept a ticking. People were sleepy. (This was their third consecutive morning to have a birth) My contractions were getting stronger. At about 2:00am I noticed that of the 5 ppl in the room I was the only one awake. πŸ™‚ Around 3:30am I began pushing. Most of the pushing happened on the floor on a birthing stool. This is the part where I wasn’t so sure I would survive.

Prior to this, the cofirstpicbirthteamntractions were manageable and I was feeling pretty good. But for the next hour and a half I wasn’t feeling so good. πŸ™‚ To make matters worse, my cervix wasn’t cooperating. So, during 90% of my remaining contractions they would pull my cervix forward while I was pushing. The added pressure wasn’t the most pleasant feeling… However, if they hadn’t, I would have been pushing much longer.

The head became seeable to the team and I just wanted to know how much longer this was going to last. I was disappointed each time I asked because no one could give me a real answer. πŸ™‚ With Stephen standing behind me and practically holding me up during each contraction the little guy made his way through the birth canal and into our arms at 5:06am. I was so happy to have it over with. Within one second of being born he was screaming beautifully. What a great feeling – to hold our son for the first time.

The following hours consisted of normal things… Holding Titus, teaching him how to nurse, taking an herbal bath together to help with healing, and getting his physical exam. He weighed in at 9 lb and 5 oz and was 22 inches long. No wonder he caused his momma some pain while he was coming out! And he wanted to see how tough I actually was – he made his way through the birth canal with his hands right beside his eyes. Well, I lost the battle and tore a little. Yeah for stitches!

Within two or three hours after his birth, the birth team headed out and we got to spend the rest of the morning and afternoon hanging out in the birth suite with our precious son. The goal was to sleep. However, I still had a ton of adrenalin in my body and couldn’t sleep. So instead I got to rest and watch my two special guys get a little sleep. Around 4:00pm we were ready to head home. We called up a member of the birth team and she checked both of us and sent us on our way.1.5 weeks

It was a special 24 hours at the birthing center. Our birth team was stellar and so fun to be with. My husband was an excellent support and encouragement throughout the process. I couldn’t have done it without him! The time we had awaited for the past 9 months had finally come and gone. It was less painful than I had anticipated – a joyful experience that I look forward to doing again in the future!


One response to “The story of our son’s arrival

  1. Congratulations to all of you!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Titus is a beautiful baby as you already know! Thank you for sharing your experience. Our preacher put Titus’ picture in our March newsletter!!! You and Stephen will make wonderful parents.
    Blessings to you,

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s